Thursday, 16 August 2012

Hugh's commission on tree pruning

So I have been busy beavering away... but I am pretty exhausted. Luckily my dear friend Hugh came to visit me a few weeks back. He's writing another article on tree pruning and has asked me to do more illustrations.  I have actually really enjoyed doing these and I hope he likes them. There are a lot of diagrams out there on this sort of thing but most of them seem have been drawn by the arboriculturalists themselves and so they are a bit 'wacky'! I have tried to go for a clean feel in these illustrations:

 Crown Lift in pen and ink

Last time I did some work for Hugh I only used pen and ink thinking that the journal might not like images in colour. Once I got my copy and flicked through I noticed that they had a lot of colour photographs, so I thought this time round I would include a couple of diagrams in watercolour. This one (below) is about pruning tree roots and so I thought here it would be suitable to use watercolour, whereas I think with the other pictures on branches need to be in pen for clarity.

 Root pruning (work in progress)

Two down - another two to go:


 Crown thinning and Crown lift

Other from this there isn't much news for me at the moment. I am still keeping a pretty low profile trying to recharge my batteries. Still struggling with tiredness and a few health niggles. I hope to be back on form soon though.

 

5 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful Jess! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good, I need to know about this as we have a big load of apple trees in our garden that could do with a haircut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb illustrations Jess and I also need to know about pruning apple trees! So thank you for sharing and educating :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is very useful, I am truly to this blog which is specially design about the trees.
    Great job.
    Tree Pruning Near Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lot of information is helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more content...Great job, keep it up.
    Tree Pruning Near Me

    ReplyDelete