Sunday, 12 May 2013

Botanical Illustration in East London

A day off from work on Friday meant that I could sit at the big drawing board and paint my big coffee plant. It was slow going though, as I am a bit tired after helping to install the Rory McEwen show. On top of that I feel a bit daunted painting all these leaves after seeing Mr. McEwen's work! Still, I soldiered on and am glad I did.  Progress in small steps is still progress and I am glad I have seen Rory's work, as it's given me a new perspective on how to achieve certain textures and hues with a brush.  I do wish it was vellum I was painting on though rather than this quite 'spongey' Saunders Waterford (I just can't get the detail on this paper). I wonder how much piece of A0 vellum would cost, if indeed you could ever go that big...?! I am not sure calves can be that big. 

Coffee Plant Painting


So I did some work on the leaves in the middle this time, one just left of the darkest one, and the two lighter ones above it. I am still stunned by how much pink I am getting through with this piece. It's amazing how much there is in this green. 

Caroline, the East London Coffee Plant, is doing amazingly well. She loves her new abode. There's lots of light for her here and she's put on another two sets of leaves. I think she'll need a trim soon. I am doing my best to 'bonsai' her so she remains portable. She'll be 10 next year but you wouldn't think it looking at her size. 

5 comments:

  1. Its coming on really beautifully Jess, stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire - it's great to hear your kind comments. I must be just about about half way now (I hope).

      Delete
  2. Looking good Jess. And feeling good too by the sounds of it. Sterling work there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jarnie. Yep! In the words of Nina Simone - 'And I am feeeeeling good.'

      Delete
  3. It's looking really great, Jess. You can buy a whole skin from Cowleys, but it's expensive! You should definitely try working on a smaller piece first, I think you would enjoy the feel of vellum. Keep the Nina Simone on... that's a great song!

    ReplyDelete