Thursday, 6 June 2013

Spot the holes

Coffea arabica - a work in progress
Coffea arabica - a work in progress
A few more holes filled in... and now I am wondering if I'd like to leave one of the holes as it is - blank. I am looking at the piece and I rather like having a leaf missing. It's the next step after my Monstera problema piece. No longer do I want to portray naturally occurring holes to satisfy my interest in the imperfect and punctured/incomplete. I now want the holes to be man-made and deliberate. I like them. I am fascinated by the way the mind works when confronted with this senario. It sees a hole and wants to fill it in and make is whole. Well my mind does anyway and I wonder why that is. My brain wants to know what happened to the missing leaf - where did it go and why isn't it there? What's it being used for, if anything? I like that questioning very much. It's thrilling. I am going to carry on with this thought process as I am extremely excited by it.


6 comments:

  1. I really like your thinking Jess.
    This is where botanical art has the opportunity to bring the artist more into play as well as painting what you see.
    It is exciting, should be more of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki - glad you like my balmy brain! I am soo desperate to have more time to pursue this sort of crazy thinking. I hope you are feeling better Vicki. Sending Reiki to you. xx

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to reading the comments on this one! I am going to continue my meditation on the subject of holes and blank spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - meditate away... You and I are doing opposites at the moment huh? After reading the draft of your statement... I think our opposites are hilarious especially as they are unconscious and not deliberate. I promise I am not rebelling.

      Delete
  3. I am intrigued with the idea of the hole. I think it could accomplish what you are hoping...to arrest, bring up questions, involve the viewer on a deeper level. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Janene - much appreciated. It's great to hear your view. These were the things I was hoping to stir up - a questioning and dialogue with the viewer. Good stuff!

      Delete