Sunday, 2 June 2013

The gnarled Pine grows tenaciously off the Cliff face


Yogi Lion embroidery by Jessica Rosemary Shepherd
Detail of the Yogi Lion embroidery piece
While the exhibition at the Espacio Gallery keeps on rolling, I am keeping myself very busy (I suppose not much changes there). I am growing tenaciously off of the cliff face. When not invigilating the gallery space in Bethnal Green on my afternoons off and am trying to complete Caroline before I go on holiday at the end of June. Currently, I now referring to photographs more often because she moves a lot and has put on a layer of new leaves. It's nice that she is happy, but it can be a pain.

With the holiday fast approaching, it has reminded me of a sewing project I started in Spain this time last year. This has in turn reminded me of yet ANOTHER deadline which I had set myself to reach - Yogi Lion must get completed. The time is now people! So I am back on the case with this little beastie of a project, sew, sew, sew... Along the tube lines and on the bus routes.
Sampler piece by Jessica Rosemary Shepherd
Yogi Lion- still a work in progress but hopefully not for much longer!
I am quite pleased at how it's turning out. The water is just how I wanted it to be - slightly treacherous and emotional. I wanted my lion to float above the chaos in a state of serenity. To hover above it in a safe place where he can look down at it all and observe it's depths. All a bit deep I know, but for me it is not just a pretty picture - none of my sewing projects are. 

Sampler piece by Jessica Rosemary Shepherd
Detail of the Yogi Lion embroidery piece
Caroline the coffee plant is well under way and I had a bit of a brain wave the other night while my house mate Nick was looking at it. Thinking about compositions and the like. I am going to plough on with this one, but maybe next time I will do something a bit wacky. I am certainly going to try to create something on photoshop once Green Giant has been scanned to see how the idea looks... I will keep you posted on this for sure but while I am at it, I want to encourage you all to experiment as much as you can with your botanical art. I find it is an art form that can be prone to sticking to the rules a bit too much. Have a look at your piece and have a go of venturing outside the box. It feels scary, but at the same time, great.

Leaves on Green Giant botanical painting
Two more leaves on Caroline the 'Green Giant' getting their coats

6 comments:

  1. Have enjoyed all your latest blog posts ...
    and adore the painting of Caroline - wow!
    I am certainly thinking outside the box for the future - happy to be free to paint without filling a criteria ...
    You are an inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki, I have been busy thinking about what you are now up to for some time - sounds exciting! Can't wait to hear more of your news. P.S. You have a package on it's way to you - hope this inspires even more.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post Jessica and your comment about being experimental with botanical art is great advice. I think it would help attract a broader, more appreciative audience as well as being liberating for the artist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hedera for your kind comments. Let's make botanical art 'hip' and more on the scene!

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to seeing this here in Spain in a few weeks. It has to be one of the longest projects you have ever sewn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes I know it's been a long one hasn't it? I think it's because another wedding sampler 'got in the way' and then I lost my television set in January and I would do a lot of sewing in front of that. Still, the tube rides are doing wonders - especially when I am delayed. Can't wait to get it framed. It'll be a tough one to mount I think with all the colours...

      Delete