Thursday, 18 July 2013

Hiding in the library



Alas today I did what one can only do in this heat and took shelter in a library. When Henry returned from work yesterday even he said that the studio was unbearably hot and that it was not really advisable to sit in it all day trying to work on my day off. It's south facing and the windows don't open properly you see... So I got up early, cooked a Very Full Tart before the heat set in, made some salads and trekked over the Fitzroy Square to have a picnic with Henry. It was super. 

Yotam Ottolenghi's A Very Full Tart (from Plenty)

There were so many people outside. The city centre is almost unrecognisable at the moment. It's more like Barcelona than London. I thought I'd put a picture in for all my readers across the globe, so that they can see what is really like. This square is a really pretty one. It's 18th Century and it has a private garden, which the residents open in the summer months for all the workers in Fitzrovia. It was very busy and I was really busy people watching for about 30 minutes before Henry arrived. There were two things that I found interesting. Firstly everyone was aged between 25 and 35 years and secondly, no one had a packed lunch. Itsu sushi was the most popular meal, followed by Pret, Planet organic, pizza takeaways and fish and chips. I only saw one Mr Whippy being scoffed and one cigarette smoked. I found it interesting that no one brought a packed lunch and am stunned by all waste and packaging left behind in bins. I do like watching life, it puts everything into context.

Summer lunching in Fitzrovia

Then I popped over the to the Wellcome Trust and hid in the cool. I saw a fabulous exhibit whilst mooching around there. It was a book case which held the entire human genome in a series of folios. It was laid out in such a fantastic way. You can see more about the exhibition on this blog. A... G... T... and C... - adenine, guanine,  thymine and cytosine. It reminded me of computer programming text, and I suppose after all we are just emotional computers. This to me was both a fascinating and disturbing exhibit. It's both disenchanting and arousing. I do like the way in which it has been printed on paper though. This makes it somewhat precious, like archival material, which I suppose is what it is. It's an archive of our history and how we came to be.



Images by Health Response

On another note... here are some of the sketches I had drawn during my time in Spain:


Mariolo

 Tree rings, orbits and annular cycles

 Mariolo


Oh, and I have loaded up the progression of Yogi Lion on my Blipfoto account so you can see the progression... Just flick through the album, it's quite fun to watch.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you have uploaded to Blip. Also very nice to see the drawings form Mariolo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mum - yes poor old Blip - I forgot about it in a way. Just got too many accounts these days!

      Delete