Tuesday, 16 July 2013

When it's this hot - head to the museums

It's too hot here! I can't function in this heat! I can't even sunbathe it's so hot. Today I have sat in a darkened room sewing the back onto Yogi Lion. It is now properly finished and I am pretty pleased with him. I just wish it would cool down a bit. London is like an oven and it's really humid. I haven't been this hot since I went to Bombay. 

There is only one thing to do in this heat besides zombie-fying in front of a fan or melting and that is to go and visit some of the big museums. The great thing about national museums and galleries is that they have to have climate control, which means they should never go over 21 C. This is a far more reasonable temperature and tomorrow I will make my way to the Wellcome Trust library to do a spot of reading and then the British Museum. I wanted to visit the Tower of London today, but I don't think that's the sort of gallery that has air-con!

So after putting the back onto Yogi Lion, I planned out my next sampler. This one is going to be on linen. I might not be able to blog this one as much though, because it needs to be kept a secret and you ever know who looks these things up. Hope to finish it next year, so lets see how it goes.

On my days off last week I was again pretty non-productive (what's going on here?!!!), but I did manage to do a spot of painting on the second day:

This leaf is a right pain, in fact all of the last ones are! But the light is reflecting in a weird way off of this one so I can't get the reflections to make it look REALLY three dimensional. It looks flat in reality, so it's going to look flat in the painting. Bit irritating, but can't be helped. I am enjoying the challenge though. It's good fun!


Been making some cards... I appear to know lots of Leos and Cancerians... Oh, and Henry's brother Duncan has just got engaged to a wonderful girl which is brill and therefore also required a card.

At this point in time I am currently busy cooking, which I have to say is the last thing I want to be doing in this heat. I feel really sorry for all chefs out there, and glasshouse horticulturalists come to think of it. I don't even want to know how hot some of the glasshouses are in Kew at the moment. 

As I right this, someone in my street is blaring out some pretty cool music, sounds a bit like the Rolling Stones and my house smells of BBQ smoke. At first I thought it might have been me who was on fire, but alas no. The entire neighbourhood has gone al fresco. I quite like that part of the heat wave. It's a good time to catch up with the neighbours.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Jess - hope you enjoyed your break.
    I am sorry you are so hot, not sure how you would cope here in our Summer with your beautiful English skin ... we are over 40 degrees often and that renders me useless.
    It is lovely being outdoors at night though, the best part of the summer - the evenings are lovely.
    Your painting is coming along so well - can't wait to see the final unveiling - and then where will it go?
    Hugs to sweaty you :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki! Great to hear from you. I am usually a real lover of sun and heat, but not this time. I think it's because I am commuting to Kew and I want to get some work done in the studio. It's annoying I can't work in the studio. I would if I was just starting a piece, but as I am just finishing up the coffee I don't want to ruin it because of the way the heat's messed up with my brain! The studio is like a south facing glasshouse so it gets mighty hot.

      I don't know how you worked at 40 degrees Celsius. You deserve a medal. Amazing.

      Thanks for the positive feedback on Caroline. I am currently in the process of talking to a coffee roastery in East London called Nude Expresso who seem quite interested in the piece/prints. Let's see how it goes.

      Delete
  2. Well done for making painting progress despite the heat. The espresso contact for your painting sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janene - yes it's been odd on the heat. I can paint in the tropics but not at home when it's hot and humid. Odd really.

      Delete