Tuesday, 9 September 2014

Coronas and Cacaos

'Corona del Espinas', a work in progress. 


Close ups on the 'Corona del Espinas', (endive lettuce), J R Shepherd
So as you can see I've been keeping myself busy painting,  trying to get things completed before I leave the UK... I'm rather getting into the curly lettuce now, which is brilliant news as it was taking a long time to do and I beginning to regret ever starting it. Just goes to show you have to stick with something. I rather like all the sharp points now, viscous though they are, there's something rather therapeutic about facing up to them. It is so efffective I've even stopped listening to power ballads and classical music and am now back onto my more uplifting tracks, such as ''Laisse tomber me filles" by French Gall. Nice.

Alongside translating the lurid green leaves (almost glow in the dark shade) of this particular lettuce I've been tackling the strange and peculiar shades of Coco the chocolate sapling. Her greens change from a Cadmiumy Yellow to 'normal' green to Lemon yellow and then a peachy brown right at the top. I love the fact the upper young leaves come out so tanned and then change colour. It's all so very backwards! I wonder if its a tactic against herbivores? It's drooping leaves that give it an appearance of permenant wilting are certainly a put off. 

Close up on Coco the Chocolate Plant, J R Shepherd (Cocoa theobroma)

Coco the Chocolate Plant, J R Shepherd (Cocoa theobroma)

Coco the Chocolate Plant, J R Shepherd (Cocoa theobroma)
So Coco will be going up to London soon to be scanned in before she gets handed in to the Chelsea Physic Garden Florilegium Society. I'll be sad to see her go, which is why I thought I'd scan her in. I hope to use her as a refence piece for a bigger, better chocolate too.

Right, now it's time to cycle into town to get my eyes tested at Specsavers (always a worry with the work I do that they've got worse) and to have a celebratory lunch time beer if they are ok.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Jess the lettuce looks amazing!! Who would have thought ... your greens are incredible but I don't know how you don't get tired of them - although you did have a break with the pinks!!
    And btw re your eyes - well for me - my eyesight improved when I started botanical art - and has remained consistent which was a real positive. Can't say the same for my neck and back though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Vicki. I have to say, today I woke up and really felt quite replused with the sight of green on my board and decided to move away from them. I got some new compositions mocked up, ones I have wanted to do for ages and the break form green was good! Great to hear about your eyes. Maybe that's what's happening for me? Who knows. I glad that the sun damage from working in the Shirley Sherwood Gallery has disappeared though. That worried me and there was little I could do. Not great sitting facing the sun, all day, everyday. The body never fails to amaze me, it can repair so much. I think us humans often forget that.

      Delete
  2. Your leafy lovelies are getting better and better Jess. Coco looks just great and I am sure Chelsea will be delighted with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jarnie - let's hope that Chelsea accept it - one can never be 100% certain... Glad to know that you think my leaves are getting better - haha! Practice makes perfect as my teacher used to say.

      Delete