Sunday, 30 November 2014

Anne ten Donkelaar

I have been doing quite a bit of surfing lately. Not sure why - must be on the hunt for something... I've lapped up all of my mothers magazines and have been scouring through all of my books. It's a wonderful thing to just look at pictures. 

So on my inspiration-feeding spree I came across Anne ten Donkelaar, an artist who constructs little intricate flowerscapes using both pressed flowers and paper. It's not exactly what I was looking for, but I like her ideas so I thought I'd share them with you all on Inky Leaves in case you hadn't heard of her. I particularly like her first series of works on butterflies which I will highlight later on. However, as this is more of a botanical-based blog, I am sharing Anne's three-dimensional flower collages with you. These intricate compositions display lots of intertwined branches of flowers that climb towards the top of the frame.  Anne makes her collages by attaching each piece of the composition to the canvas with tiny little pins, thus creating that sense of depth.

Flower construction #35 

Flower construction #35

Flower construction #40 
In her work, it is clear that Donkelaar is heavily influenced by the unique finds she uncovers in nature. In her series on ‘Broken Butterflies’, she appears to have been fascinated by the fragility of the beautiful wing fragments and has used her own collection to make something whole and more composite. You can take a look at designboom’s coverage of ‘broken butterflies’ here, and there are also some images on her website here.



Flower construction #48 


Flower construction #29 
Flower construction #6 

Flower construction #4 

1 comment: