Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Nicholas Johnson in A Crazed Flowering

So while I continue to camp out in Fuengirola (or as my mum likes to call it, 'Fuengir-effing-ola' - no idea why, I rather like it here) on a mini break, I am busy planning things out. I've been planning out my next body of work, planning out exhibitions and today I decided to plan my trip to London next week. As usual I have back-to-back appointments, so I can't squeeze much in, but I feel one has to make full use of the opportunity of being in the capital. I have in the last few years, however, often found myself feeling fairly disenchanted by the larger shows that London has to offer its visitors, so this time I thought I'd peruse the internet to see what shows are on in the smaller, more private, galleries. It was then when I came across the work of Nicholas Johnson.

Nicholas Johnson ©

I just love the intense, explosive energy in Nicholas' paintings. I love the use of the bold colours and the chaos. They remind me of how I felt when botanising in the jungle. One can almost hear the noise from all the insects and birds. I realise that these paintings won't be everyone's cup of tea, but they are certainly mine. If you are interested in Nicholas and want to read more about him there is a great article about the painter here on Young Space.



Rather frustratingly, I will miss his show by 24 hours... (I guess it happens to us all)! However, if you are in London this weekend and are wondering how to spend your time, this is your last chance to see this little exhibition before it closes.

A Punk Smelling Flowers at the End of His Life, acrylic, string, canvas scraps on paper,
140 x 208 cm, Nicholas Johnson © 2014

The show, which is inspired by J. G. Ballard’s dystopian novel The Crystal World, is called A Crazed Flowering and is on show at The Frameless Gallery in Clerkenwell. Curated by Dazed contributor Kate Neave, the three week-long show’s roots sprouted when artist Nicholas Johnson’s fascination with The Crystal World grew alongside his fellow exhibitor and Royal College of Art graduate Freya Douglas-Morris, as they completed their degrees together.
“The novel's inventive assortment of notions of botanical overgrowth and types of decay including petrification, crystallisation, overgrowth, damp and drought had captured Nicholas' imagination,” reveals Kate Neave. “Whereas Freya was more concerned with the rich environments Ballard imagines and his play on time and space in the novel.” The trio of artists on show is rounded off by Chelsea College of Art graduate Lucy Whitford, who concentrated on interpreting the book’s narratives and mythologies in her work.
A Crazed Flowering runs until January 24, 2015 at London’s Frameless Gallery.
Click here for more information.


Nicholas Johnson ©

1 comment:

  1. I love the layered imagery and layers of marks of this artist. Fabulous choice.

    ReplyDelete