Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Jan Hopkins - Fibre Artist

I really like the work of Jan Hopkins so I thought I'd share her work with you. Jan is a fibre artist who rather cleverly uses other botanical materials, such as grapefruit peel, lotus and lunaria pods and cantaloupe peels alongside the more traditional basket making materials to make these spectacular and rather ancient looking creations. 

'Essence', 2004, Materials: lotus pod tops, Alaskan yellow cedar and waxed linen, Image: Ken Rowe
When talking about her sculptures, Jan describes how nowadays there are often restrictions in place on how much traditional basket material one can harvest in order to protect the plants from from over collecting, so in order to do her work she combines traditional materials with alternative materials as well - ones that are not restricted and can be found in abundance. 

'Amphitrite',  2007, Materials: grapefruit peel, cantaloupe peel, waxed linen, lotus pod tops, ostrich shell beads, yellow cedar bark and paper | photo: Carie Stryka
"I am fascinated by natural materials and I love to find new materials to work with that aren't normally used in basketry/sculpture. Finding ways to process, preserve and use these alternative materials in an artform has become my passion for over 20 years. I am obsessed with pushing the boundaries with these materials and am working toward making large pieces set in environments”. 

'Figuratively Speaking',  2000, Materials: grapefruit peels, waxed linen and paper

I think it is really clever what she does. I know I wish I'd thought of doing it. You can see more of her work on her blog here

Materials: grapefruit peel, waxed linen, Alaskan yellow cedar bark and lotus pod tops and sharlyn melon peels

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind words and for sharing my obsession.

    ReplyDelete