|Catalpa Leaf - a work in progress|
So here I am. I would say in a different format, but I have been blogging for a while, so that doesn't really count. For those who don't know, I temporarily removed my personal profile from Facebook. I have been grappling with this move for some time and this week I took the leap. It wasn't an easy decision to make as I like to keep in touch with all of my friends and I enjoying posting uplifting content for you, but by sidestepping Facebook ever so slightly I have created space - space which has already been filled in with other activities such as reading and writing instead of 'tapping the tablet'. This is good, as such sources will no doubt feed into my work and be spread outwards via another broadcasting channel, including this blog.
|A sense of scale, complete with the brush I am using|
So news... well I have just been knuckling down really and trying to keep warm. It's very cold here now and our ginger cat from Nerja isn't amused as he is more accustomed to a maritime climate. I myself am currently sitting at the computer dressed like an Inuk in alpaca, complete with Afghan slippers which are underneath my New Zealand woolly slipper boots. What I could really do with are some Chinese silk fingerless gloves for painting in, not only for the warmth, but also to don me with as many international fibres as possible. I am going for the Fully Monty in reverse.
So other than the ego playing horrendous games with me to reactivate my Facebook account all is going smoothly. I have almost completed my first big leaf for Abbot and Holder. I have found this to be a more physically challenging leaf rather than a mentally challenging one (like the Blackberries and Loosestrife). I have found my eyes have been refusing to work properly in the darker zones. To paint the shadows I turn my lights out and pull my blind down to remove the glare which can make painting the dark bits a bit easier on the eye.
|Botanical art with a sense of perspective|
Here's a video I made for Amber Halsall who asked me if I painted all of the leaf using the small brush pictured above - the answer is 'pretty much most of it'...
1) Pro Arte, Series 100, Number 10 - for washes
2) Pro Arte, Series 100, Number 6 - for washes
3) Rosemary and Co., Series 99, Number 2 - for most of the piece
4) Rosemary and Co., Series 99, Number 2 - for most of the piece
5) Pro Arte, Series 107, Number 0 - for blending edges and doing the fine veins
And because it is so satisfying to watch, rather like flowers coming into bloom, here are a couple of time lapse videos showing the changes in colouration and shape. I have been rather lucky with my leaves in Spain as they sort of become 'petrified' with the intensity of the sun and keep their colours like a herbarium specimen.