Thursday 19 September 2013

Making a start

So I have made a start on Cosmo... I think I can officially say it's one of the hardest things I have ever done. There are so many bumps and colour changes - it's really tricky to keep up the good ol' observation skills. I am trying to do this piece as fast as I can too, which is not helping matters I guess, but at the same time it is. I am trying to get to a level where I can just get on with painting rather than to fuss too much about where I place my line. I often find that when one paints quickly, they are painting more from the heart and that subsequently comes across in the piece. Well that's the hope anyway! I guess it's a test to see how fast I can get. The interesting thing is that the Green Giant actually only took just over double the time of Sally the Savoy, despite being sustainably larger. Practice makes perfect, as Dianne Sutherland is finding with her amazing 30 day challenge.

Cos Lettuce - work in progress

I have put this picture in so you can get a sense of scale. There is no 'little' with 'little gem'!

Me and Cos - work in progress

5 comments:

  1. Great, love the picks with you in them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow huge love it, how did you measure and scale that if you don't mind me asking .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear that you love the lettuce. Well, with the coffee plant I just drew it straight onto the paper, but with this one, because it is a lot more complicated, I decided to draw a sketch. Then I blew it up on a photocopier, traced and then transferred the tracing onto the watercolour paper. Seems to work ok but it takes ages! Lots of drawing on different sheets... - My favourite bit is to do the painting, so often feel like the pencil work can't be done soon enough!

      Delete
  3. Looking good so far, I can't wait to see it finished!x

    ReplyDelete